The Idaho State Department of Education is taking public comments on several proposed rule changes before they go before the State Board of Education for approval in November.
In Idaho, the administrative rule process requires a proposed rule to be initially approved by the State Board of Education and then go out for a 21-day public comment period. The proposed rule will go back to the State Board after the public comment period. If approved, it then goes to the Idaho Legislature for final approval.
Here is a brief description of some of the proposed rule changes that are now available for comment:
· Open Negotiations: The Students Come First law requires district negotiations with personnel to be conducted in open session. This rule would clarify that open negotiations should adhere to Idaho’s Open Meeting Law.
· Idaho Interim Certificate: The Professional Standards Commission approved this proposed rule change to help reinstate expired certificates. This rule change would respond to a statewide challenge in meeting federal guidelines for Highly Qualified teacher status and teacher shortages, by giving Idaho teachers greater flexibility in returning to the teaching field with the necessary certification.
· Teacher Evaluation: This rule change would clarify the new parent input and growth in student achievement requirements in teacher and school-based administrator evaluations as part of Students Come First.
· Assessment: The rule change would remove references to the Direct Writing Assessment (DMA) and Direct Math Assessment (DMA) tests that receive a waiver to discontinue their use in June of 2010.
· Dual Credit, College Entrance: This rule change would note that students participating in the Dual Credit for Early Completers Program do not have to complete their senior project prior to being eligible for the program, but must complete the requirement by the end of their twelfth grade or final year of high school.
The public has until October 26, 2011 to submit comments. To submit comments, please visit http://www.sde.idaho.gov/site/forms/publicComment2011Oct.asp or fax comments to ATTN: Gaye Bennett at (208) 334-2228.
Please note: The proposed rule changes on the State Department of Education’s website do not include the proposed online credit requirement for high school students. That proposed rule change is available for comment online through the Office of the State Board of Education at http://www.boardofed.idaho.gov/.