Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Luna today called for elementary students across Idaho to participate in the annual Holiday Card Contest.
“Our annual Holiday Card Contest is a great opportunity for Idaho’s elementary students to showcase their artistic abilities and for us all to recognize the importance of arts in education,” Superintendent Luna said.
The contest is open to all public school students in grades K-6. One drawing will be selected to be published on the State Department of Education’s Web site at www.sde.idaho.gov and used as the Department’s holiday greeting card. The child who submits the selected artwork will receive cards for his or her own use.
The following is a list of instructions for the 2011 Holiday Card Contest:
1. The contest is open to public school students in grades K-6.
2. Drawings should reflect winter scenes in Idaho appropriate for seasonal correspondence, and should not include copyrighted images such as Garfield the Cat, Bugs Bunny, Digimon characters, etc.
3. Drawings should be on 8.5” by 11” paper in a landscape format.
4. Drawings must be properly labeled. Write the name of the student, the student’s grade, district, school, and the teachers name on the back of the artwork. Please make sure this information is legible. (If you submit multiple grade levels, please keep the entries for each grade level separate.)
5. Students may use as many colors as they wish in their drawings and may use watercolors, colored paper, magic markers, crayons, or some combination. Bold colors work best for the printing process. Please note: Fabric designs and pencil drawings are not suitable to our printing process and will not be selected.
6. Students must be advised that entry into this contest constitutes (1) a waiver of all copyrights students have in their entries, and (2) permission to republish entries without compensation.
7. Drawings will not be returned.
8. The winning entries from each grade level will be published on the Idaho State Department of Education Web site at http://www.sde.idaho.gov/.
9. Submissions must be postmarked by Friday, November 4, 2011. Results will be announced in December. Drawings may be mailed to:
State Department of Education
Attn: Melissa McGrath
P.O. Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720-0027