To celebrate, the Idaho State Department of Education, in partnership with the Alliance for Excellent Education, will highlight innovative teaching taking place in classrooms across our state.
“Digital Learning Day gives us the opportunity to recognize those innovative teachers who are using digital learning in their classrooms to expand access, individualize instruction and ensure every child is engaged in learning every day,” Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Luna said. “Digital learning is a key part of the 21st Century Classroom, and I am pleased to see so many states and educators work together to share best practices.”
On this day and throughout the year, the state will work with Idaho teachers and parents to explore how digital learning can provide all students with opportunities to build the skills needed to succeed in postsecondary education, a career, and throughout life.
Digital learning also provides students and families with more choices than ever in public education. The state has expanded digital learning opportunities in the classroom, such as access to digital content, interactive technologies, and the Idaho Education Network. Through digital learning, students not only learn from the great teachers in their school but also now have access to other highly effective teachers in schools across the state.
All education stakeholders – districts, schools, teachers, students, librarians, parents, and business and community partners –are encouraged to register to participate in Digital Learning Day activities. More than 18,000 teachers are currently signed up to participate across the country.
By signing up now, participating schools and teachers will have access to targeted toolkits outlining ideas and ways to plan their Digital Learning Day celebration, as well as updates, informational videos, webinars, and other resources. They also can participate in Digital Learning Day’s Digital Town Hall that will simulcast live on Wednesday, February 6, from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. (MT). The town hall will highlight promising practices in digital learning from across the country and showcase the effective use of technology in the classroom.
In addition, the State Department of Education will be honoring educators from across Idaho through the 21st Century Best Practices Technology Integration Recognition Awards! Teachers will be recognized Wednesday in categories such as Best Lesson and Unit Planning, Best Practices Lesson Plan in Visual Arts, and Video Awards Documenting Best Practices in Technology Integration.
Here are five ways you can celebrate Digital Learning Day in your school or classroom this week:
- Register your school for the national event and participate in the town hall.
- Follow the local and national conversation throughout the day on February 6 on Twitter– #DLDay and #IdahoDLDay – and on Superintendent Luna's Facebook page.
- On February 6, be sure to check out the award-winning videos from Idaho teachers that will be posted on the State Department of Education’s website so you can share their best practices in integrating digital learning in the classroom.
- Explore Schoolnet and familiarize yourself with the many resources it provides.
- Try blended learning in your classroom for a day! Visit Idaho’s Digital Learning Day website to get more ideas and resources.